Erik Hupje

What is your favourite RCA technique and why?

Hi Navin,

I am interested in learning more about your implementation of CTA. Do you have any examples of how this information has helped you drill down to the issues at hand. when I say examples I am wanting to know if you have any documentation that you can attach to illustrate how this system is helping you. 

Thank you,

Jim

• Like 1

19 minutes ago, Jim Vantyghem said:

Hi Navin,

I am interested in learning more about your implementation of CTA. Do you have any examples of how this information has helped you drill down to the issues at hand. when I say examples I am wanting to know if you have any documentation that you can attach to illustrate how this system is helping you. 

Thank you,

Jim

Hey Jim

Appreciate the interest. The CTA method is in its infancy in our company. We've done just a handful and for those the causes were straightforward electronics failures. If I do come across any more in future I'll be sure to post here so that everyone can benefit off of it.

• Like 2

We use the FTA for top-down RCA analysis. Fault Tree Analysis(FTA) and Event Tree Analysis (ETA) are really good enough for both qualitative and quantitative analysis.

• Like 2

I am not restricted to one software/tool. Its horses for courses for me. I use different tools based on the complexity of the problem.

For eg, if I almost knew the root cause and want to record it I just use 5 Why's and fish bone diagram.If it is a complex issue and want to list all the possible root causes then I use Mindjet Mindmanager. For a proper full blown investigation we use Apollo RCA.

All the actions from the RCA are tracked in CMMS . Effectiveness of the RCA are monitored using the Reliability metrics.

Regards

Raj

• Like 1

I have seen a many of them throughout the industry, from "5 why", Fishbone, FTA,ETA , etc, They all provide their reasons to effective solutions.

However the  most  effective or  efficient I have seen did originate from the  KEPNER&TREGOE  portfolio  or now  KEPNER&FOURIE  - Thinking Dimensions -  they start  with  CAUSEWISE, RISKWISE, SOLUTIONWISE  and  are adaptable  for the user application or  skill level.  https://www.thinkingdimensions.com/

• Like 1

To the best of my knowledge, there are a couple of RCA strategies that could be used. FMEA, FMECA, Fault Tree, Pareto & degrader analysis. But executing a sound failure analysis in a maintenance context requires that the following conditions are met: 

- A concise and structured approach is followed

- A proper selection is made of relevant failures to be investigated,

- The analysis is exe3cuted to a sufficiently deep level. 

And previously mentioned methods do not actually meet all the requirements. Especially the third.  

Tiedo Tinga of the University of Twente, Faculty of Engineering Technology proposed a procedure that does meet all the requirements, and at the same time optimally utilizes the knowledge of loads and failure mechanisms. This procedure is called the Mechanism-Based Failure Analysis.  

For more information please visit this link: https://research.utwente.nl/en/publications/mechanism-based-failure-analysis

I hope to have added something of value to this discussion. Stay Reliable

• Like 1