Derek Brown

Derek Brown, Scotland UK

Hi,

new to the forum, 

I have had the pleasure of working in various industries and now I find myself in the petrochemical sector. 

My current role is a Mechanical Asset Engineer, so I have taken a keen interest in Reliability and Maintenance.

Hi Eric,

I am upstream, looking after a plant using propylene to make plastics.

I studied Maintenance and reliability at university after being on the tools for a number of years and I was amazed how much I didn’t know. For instance, maintenance is taught as a science, statistics, machine failure modes, the physics of how machines operate and more importantly how they degrade and fail. So sites such as yours instantly peaked my interest.

Are there any certification for reliability practitioners that you can recommend?

Thanks

Derek

That's a great personal development path @Derek Brown

I always recommend the CMRP certification which is run by the Society of Maintenance & Reliability professionals, mainly because it is the most widely recognised certification. Have a look here: https://smrp.org/Certification/CMRP-Certification

To get certified as a CMRP you need to successfully pass the exam. And the exam is supposed to be based on your experience rather than just a knowledge based exam that you can study for.

That said, I would suggest you start by reading the following books that are on the SMRP list of recommended books:

Maintenance Planning & Scheduling Handbook by Doc Palmer
The Toyota Way by Jeffery Liker
Maintenance & Reliability Best Practices by Ramesh Gulatti
Making Common Sense Common Practice by Ron Moore
Reliability-Centered Maintenance by John Moubray

You can buy these second hand via amazon.com, abebooks.com or bookdepository.com which has free global shipping. Just hunt around and you can pick up a good second hand copy for not too much money.

I would not recommend buying the SMRP Guide to the Maintenance and Reliability Body of Knowledge. It will set you back $50.00 or $25.00 if you’re already an SMRP member. But the guide is just 20 pages long and given the lack of detail and depth it provides I believe it should be something the SMRP offers for free. Better use your money to buy one of the above books.

You can sit the CMRP exam as a computer-based test in almost any country in the world. It is not cheap, but if this is really the career path you wish to pursue it is worth the investment - or better yet, try to get your employer to pay for the exam. You can find the test centers from this page https://smrp.org/CMRP-Registration by clicking the "locate a testing center"

Another good certification could be the Certified Reliability Engineer (CRE) by the American Society for Quality but I have not done that one myself. You can find more details here: https://asq.org/cert/reliability-engineer

And once you have the CMRP under your belt and a reasonable amount of experience you might want to consider the Certified Reliability Leader (CRL) program.

Hi @Erik Hupje,

Many thanks for this.

I already have the Reliability-Centered Maintenance by John Moubray, I bought it as my lecturer advised it was worth having.

Re the certification, Reliability engineering is certainly the niche' engineering route I am keen to pursue further, although there are different interpretations of reliability, or asset engineer certainly in industry, where reliability can just mean the nuts and bolts and not data analytics, failure rate acquisition and root cause analysis. This is where I find myself at the moment as my role is predominantly "keeping the plant going" and not enough time to devise medium/long term reliability strategies. I know this has to be a management driven objective to change the culture of maintenance but it does take time and effort. I read a quote on reliability - "everyone thinks reliability is like safety, it's a great idea but not everyone does it" - Heinz Bloch. Although my employer is trying to build a reliability team at the moment, it is something I would like to be part of. I have been in my current role for a few months and I am keen to make changes where I can and improve the plant I look after and learn as much as I can from others and utilising technology.

I have heard of CMRP certification and it is something I will likely pursue, but are there no UK based accreditations for maintenance and reliability?

Thanks,
brgs

Derek

• Like 1

Hi @Derek Brown I did indeed sit the CMRP.

To prepare I refreshed a couple of subjects by re-reading parts of books I already had and read through the SMRP Body of Knowledge documentation. 

I would recommend reading the following books that are on the SMRP list of recommended books:

• Maintenance Planning & Scheduling Handbook by Doc Palmer
  • The Toyota Way by Jeffery Liker
  • Maintenance & Reliability Best Practices by Ramesh Gulatti
  • Making Common Sense Common Practice by Ron Moore
  • Reliability-Centered Maintenance by John Moubray

You can buy these second hand via amazon.com, abebooks.com or bookdepository.com which has free global shipping. Just hunt around and you can pick up a good second-hand copy for not too much money. 

Don't think you would need to read more than these. 

I would not recommend buying the SMRP Guide to the Maintenance and Reliability Body of Knowledge. It will set you back $50.00 or $25.00 if you’re already an SMRP member. But the guide is just 20 pages long and given the lack of detail and depth, I believe it should be something the SMRP offers for free. Better use your money to buy one of the above books.

I did not do any specific course to prepare. The exam is supposed to be an experience based exam rather than a knowledge-based exam that you can really study for.

I did the computer-based exam which you can do in almost any country in the world. You can find the test centers on this page https://smrp.org/CMRP-Registration by clicking the "locate a testing center"