Jim Vantyghem

New Position, New Journey

Greetings,

It has been a while since I have posted any information and based on a new position I have acquired within the company I work for, I wanted to begin sharing ideas, experiences and solicit advice where possible and applicable.

At present, I am responsible to maintain and continuously improve the utilization of an existing CMMS system for 13 plants. This endeavor involves working with an existing software program and approximately 6 to 7 yrs. of meaningless information and what I would consider unfavorable data collection and software usage practices.

In order to move forward a massive paradigm shift in thinking is going to be required. Obviously this is going to take a lot of work and time but most certainly worth it.

I have spent a fair bit of time reviewing information on Reliability Centered Maintenance and for those of you who have done the same and continue to do so, I am sure you will be overwhelmed at times.

In short, many RCM authors say/write the same information but may use different words and this is the common thread I like to look for. After attending the CMRP course,  I found that Erik’s information spoke the most to my needs and thus I am using his site to record my current implementation efforts

Look forward to interacting with all of you and more to follow.

Have a great day.

Jim Vantyghem

Welcome back @Jim Vantyghem and congratulations with the new role! Looking forward to reading more about your journey, the challenges and how you intend to solve them. 

Erik

First, thank you for creating this community as a means to share information, ideas, experiences etc. I have read all of your material along with sharing it with others. In addition I have spent a bit of money on acquiring the books you have recommended as well.

I look forward, as always, to your thoughts and welcome any advice you have to offer, heaven knows I am going to need it as this new position comes with a massive amount of work. Hope you are okay with me sharing the journey and as a heads up, I try to have a method to my madness even though it may seem that some of my information seems off topic.

As a start, the information I share with all of you is of my own opinions and observations. I invite you to provide your comments, suggestions, opinions, experience, knowledge etc., as I am truly interested in your feedback.

Where to begin! First off, the challenges and opportunities I am experiencing today are basically no different than 31+ yrs ago.  I am sure that all of us have heard the statement made by Einstein regarding Insanity “doing the same thing over and over and expecting different results”. As this statement holds a lot of truth I believe the following Einstein quote is much more powerful

We cannot solve our problems with the same level of thinking that created them” We need to think at levels much higher than the problem.

Using the statement above and adding this additional statement may help us see resolves to our existing problems and open doors to new opportunities. “We cannot change what we don’t acknowledge”.

So, as part of my strategic reimplementation plan I am attempting to use realistic thinking to determine what challenges I may be up against. The following examples are some problems I am presently encountering and others that I have encountered globally regarding CMMS implementations, general maintenance and engineering activities/projects and RCM endeavors (NOTE: A good portion of these issues listed had come from a document written in the 90s and I have experienced all of them).  

As previously stated, I am curious to know if any of you have experienced any of the following road blocks / struggles yourself. Also if you have additional information to add, please share. It would be easy to elaborate on each of the following but that will take a bit more time.

• Frequent Business focus change:

• Fear of Change:

• Lack of Education:

• Lack of Resources:

• Lack of Capital for repairs/projects:

• Lack of defined plan:  

• Not enough / poor quality vendor/supplier assistance:

• Inexperienced Project managers and/or not enough expertise on the implementation team:

• Unclear / undefined activities to be conducted by the maintenance dept. (PMs, work & material management etc.)

• Unclear /undefined roles and responsibilities  for the setup, security and use of the CMMS system based on the defined activities conducted by the maintenance department:

• Poor ability to manage the basics of maintenance activities:

• Lack of executive management support

• No buy-in and/or commitment from existing Maintenance, Engineering, Production Operations, IT, Accounting, Purchasing etc.

• Inadequate Budget for the implementation phase:

• Big bang implementations with unrealistic timeframes:

• Inadequate Training:

• Poor Communication throughout the implementation:

• Undefined communication methods:

• Lack of responsibility / accountability:

• Unclear performance measures and targets:

• No personal incentives:

• Poorly understood consequences if the implementation stage fails:

• CMMS system does not fit the business need:

• Lack of seamless implementation with other business applications:

• No formal process to resolve implementation issues:

• Poor system design and architecture:

• Excessive software customization requirements:

• Poorly planned and executed data conversion from a previous system:

• Lack of resources to operator the system:

• Lack of the required hardware:

• Excessive startup efforts:

• The need for instant gratification or results:

• Lack of enthusiasm:

• Lack of Production Operator skills/training:

• Culture & Morale issues:

• Poor planning & Scheduling between maintenance and operations:

• Lack of skilled trades employees:

• Too many mandatory overtime hours required:

• High employee turnover (Management, maintenance, engineering, production departments etc.):

• Lack of respect:

• No sense of urgency or everything is an urgency:

• Processes adapting to people instead of people adapting to processes:

• No RCM principles / activities in place:

The posts to follow will be geared towards the human side of my CMMS reimplementation project. Until the next post … have a great day!

Jim

That's quite a list @Jim Vantyghem and I recognise most if not all of them... in fact, I think it's a classic list of a highly reactive maintenance organisation that has been stretched too thin. 

I was just working on recording one of the course modules from my Planning & Scheduling course where I talk about the non-monetary benefits that an efficient planning & scheduling process brings. And I think one of the most important ones is that in a more efficient working environment frustration is reduced, because people waste less of their time, and feel more productive, there are less emergencies. That eventually leads to more ownership and people being able to take pride in their work once again.