Test ×
Sign in to follow this  
Raul Martins

You are the new engineer of a company with several issues at the Maintenance Planning and Scheduling area due to reactive mindsets, as well as people’s culture. How would you deal with this situation?

Hi all,

Due to the great replies received at the topic “What is your single biggest issue when it comes to Maintenance Planning & Scheduling?” and its continuation "Due to a poor spare parts policy, cost reduction and problems with the Procurement/Purchase area, your plant lacks important spare parts when required. What would you do to tackle this issue?", we now decided to challenge our members on the second most common issue when it comes to Maintenance Planning and Scheduling according to our users.

Firstly, let's have a look at the graphic below:

image.png.3dadcc58699309537e5c5600a98ed090.png

As we can see, the second most common issue according to our members is “People/Culture”.

This time, the question is:

You are the new Maintenance and Reliability Engineer of a company with several issues at the Maintenance Planning and Scheduling area due to reactive mindsets, as well as people’s culture.

How would you deal with this situation?

However, you have to bear in mind that this time you are not in a managerial position. In other words, you cannot change processes, hire or fire people nor anything else that a manager could do by himself. Now, all you can do is influence positively your stakeholders in order to show how important it is to improve the area.

Don't forget of telling us what you would do and why you think this strategy would solve this situation!

Regards,

Raul Martins

I would sit down with the team, and explain the importance of planned and proactive maintenance, expand to them the gains that are got from it, and hear from them why they prefer the reactive mindset, and understand the reason they stick to they culture. And i would offer them a better perspective of approaching maintenance without fire fighting, yet ensuring job satisfaction. 

• Like 1

Hello you all. 

A culture change should always be accompanied by a change management + action plan.  Following the direct points : 

• Training sessions explaining the importance of the new work flow and changes of " THE WAY WE DO THINGS" .This training sessions should be interactive , not only theoretical ones . Maybe ludo games, real life situations where the difference between the two types of working could be really demonstrated and exposed to those workers. 
    • exercise 1 : Simulate one scenario without any kind of planning. In that scenario we all know that spare parts, necessary tools and even labor would be forget.  Use a chronometer to show how many labor hours and money they would be losing. 
    • exercise 2 : Simulate a second scenario where everything is planned and programmed, the next step is to show the amount of time and money this simulation was executed.

• Create a direct and non complicated process of delivering and receiving the work orders back, if needed for the first month make it a prize worth contest , maybe something from the company ( t- shirts , hats and other items from the company shop) 
  • Convince maintenance leader , his the one responsible of winning the team later. 
  • Place all that in a change management plan. 

Kind Regards. 

Hi @Cornelius Mpesi,

I totally agree with your point of view. Communication is the first step of any process improvement. If you want to improve something, listening to those who are directly involved with the tasks is a great first step to ensure job satisfaction, as well as undestand their difficulties. During this conversations, it is quite common to end up with possible solutions as well.

Hi @Tamiris Palacios,

I like the structure of your comment. This sort of ludo games are quite helpful to clarify some simple things that sometimes we do not see when we are dealing with daily tasks.

But if you do not mind, I would like to add one more step:

- Brainstorming about problems and possible solutions with the team + Change Management + Action Plan.

In other words, I would start doing what @Cornelius Mpesi said, and then go to the change management + action plan.

I believe that, by combining both strategies, the likelyhood to fail would be lower.

What both of you think of that?

Regards,

Raul Martins

• Like 1