Test ×
Lorna

Maintenance Planner/Scheduler - Idaho, USA

Greetings fellow Maintenance Management professionals.  I am here to share and to learn as much as I can so that I can improve my skills doing the jobs that I love.  I've been a planner scheduler for 5 years and enjoy the daily challenges of creating a reliability program in a reactive environment.  We use SAP here, and I'm sure we can use it better than what we currently do, so that's another subject that I am exploring.

Hi Lorna!  I'm in the same boat as you; living in the challenging world of trying to create a reliability program in a highly reactive culture.  I'm curious to know what industry you are currently in?  

I'm at the University of Kansas Medical Center, where we focus on healthcare, education, and research.  

Thanks!

I am in the food manufacturing industry.  We have windows of what we call downtime to be able to actually maintain our equipment, and the rest of the time we perform inspections so that we can hopefully catch impending failures to address on the upcoming downtime.  A lot of folks are still struggling with the value of inspecting equipment.  They would rather put out the fire.  It makes scheduling quite the adventure!  😉  The company that I work for is a Global Food Manufacturing Company.

Regards,

Lorna

• Like 1

Hi all,

It's great to have you both onboard and it is great to see that you have a lot in common!

The "Road to Reliability" is definitely not easy, especially when it comes to changing a reactive culture into a proactive one. 

I hope you guys enjoy your time here while reading our topics and members opinions, as well as sharing yours!

Regarding SAP, we have a topic named "What is the best CMMS?", in which we have many opinions from ours users about such tools, including SAP. Here is the link:

See you soon!

Regards,
Raul Martins

Welcome @Lorna great to have you with us. SAP is a beast that is for sure, hard to tame but very powerful.

And welcome to you too @LaWayne Smith

There are a few approaches I recommend to breaking that typical reactive cycle and which way you go depends on the state of your plant, but prioritisation of new work requests is key as well as trying to eliminate defects and those repetitive failures. Prioritisation can be a quick win and really give you more breathing space. But getting rid of a defect that has been causing a lot of breakdowns or downtime (i.e. a bad actor) can be a really good way to show to management the value of investing in reliability improvement...