Test ×

Change management process and YOUR role on it

• Community Leader

Hi all,

Changing is not something easy. Although we might say that we like it, our subconscious is not a big fan at all.

This is because there is something that always come along with changes: risk.

However, imagine if human kind did not take risks throughout the years where we would be right now. Probably, we still would be living in caves.

When it comes to a company, especially, an asset intensive industry, we have to use a staged approach as the risks for the business and for the health and safety of those who work at it can be significant.

This staged approach is also called change management process.

Basically, such process is a sequence of activities/tasks that move a proposed change from an idea, to a fact.

Here, we have to:

1-      Identify the changes;

2-      Determine your objectives;

3-      Plan for the change;

4-      Identify your stakeholders;

5-      Gather data and facts for evaluation;

6-      Assess all the risks involved and create a plan to mitigate them;

7-      Create a solid change case;

8-      Communicate what is going on, especially the future vision;

9-      Monitor and manage the progress, risks and stakeholders engagement;

10-   Celebrate key achievements;

11-   Review and improve it continuously.

Following those steps will help you to achieve a successful change. However, do not forget to be the change agent for your change.

The change agent (you) is responsible to implement the change successfully by providing all the required resources for the change and keeping others engaged throughout all the changes proposed.

Ensure you understand the processes, the steps needed and impacts of your change from different perspectives (technical, financial, feasibility, etc.). Have your stakeholders by your side all the time, show them the benefits for the organization and for themselves. Show people you know and you  really believe on what you are doing.

At the end of the day, your change will only be successful, if you are able to make it stick.

Regards,

Raul Martins  

Posted (edited)

Hi Raoul,

you brought up a very important topic. From my experience, I can say that many organizations are not aware enough of the importance of CM when they want to introduce any kind of organizational change. At the end of the day, the latter is only achievable if all the employees who  are involved, really change the way they do their day-to-day work. And to do so, it is of paramount importance for them to understand WHY the change is happening and get a clear answer on WIIFM?

What I'd like to add to your initial thoughts is the importance of the executive sponsor for a successful change. I've seen many cases where a Project Manager was assigned and the change was expected to happen. It is not hard to imagine the results. Even when the Change Agent is assigned (which may or may not be the same person as PM), that does not suffice. It is crucial to have visible sponsorship of the change. Prosci calls that Project Change Triangle - PCT (Sponsorhip/Leadership - Project Management - Change Management).

There are several CM methodologies used worldwide. I had reviewed several ones and decided to follow the one of Prosci (www.prosci.com), which has a significant research background of more than 20 years good structure and lots of reference materials. And it focuses on the level of individuals, which I found very important. Consequently I also decided to get certified in accordance with their methodology. 

Regardles of the methodology one may choose, it is crucial for the practitioners to invest sufficient time to get well acquainted with it. Namely, the topic is more extensive than it may seem. And way too many change projects fail for CM is not (sufficiently) utilized.

As we are discussing maintenance, most of the optimization or improvement projects, introductions of new technologies and/or methodologies require changes in day-to-day work. Sound CM should make a substantial difference.

Best regards,

Andrej

Edited by Andrej
editorial
  • Like 1

Hi Raul, my best greetings . Thank you for your valuable information on these topics.

I would like  to suggest  you add to this article of the Change Management Process  in the first and second point the great importance of the Innovation today in all 

the companies and how to get it.

Thank you

Seidel Muriel 

Raul - great topic and should be on a "must read" list for anyone who expects to get results! Those persons need to be in that senior executive sponsorship role. Andrej makes an excellent point about that. Without support at a senior enough level, we in the M&R world can only hope to make minor process changes to those processes we actually control. Most of the rest of it, where much of the value is potentially generated, requires cross functional collaboration. In turn, that requires the executive sponsorship or it is highly unlikely to happen, at least in most organizations. 

• Community Leader

Hi @Andrej,

Great comment!

I agree when you say that people need to know WHY the change is happening. This reminded me of a leadership video by Simon Sinek, called "How great leaders inspire action", in which he talks about "WHY". The link is below for those who are interested in having a look:

https://www.ted.com/talks/simon_sinek_how_great_leaders_inspire_action

About the senior sponsorship, that is true. I have seen many projects failing due to lack of an executive support, especially those projects that are changing/improving a process. If people do not see a clear sponsorship from senior management, the change agent will struggle at every single step. 

I did not know Prosci. I just checked their website and it looks like a really good company and source of information. They have a section with articles and webnars that look quite helpful as well. Thanks for sharing it with us.

Regards,

Raul Martins

• Community Leader

Hi @SEIDEL MURIEL,

Innovation plays a key role on the sustainability of a company, especially in times like this that many businesses are struggling financially. 

If we want to create an innovative environment, we need to give people the chance of thinking, creating, as well as failing. Many managers do not accept failures, regardless their consequences are bad or not. However, there will always be risks involved in a change, in an innovation and this will certainly happen sooner or later. We have to try our best to avoid it, but when it happens, we have to learn from it, fix the mistakes done in the past and look at the future and do not give up.

There is a quote by Thomas Edson that says: I have not failed. I've just found 10,000 that won't work.

How about you? What are your thoughts about innovation?

Regards,
Raul Martins

10 minutes ago, Raul Martins said:

If people do not see a clear sponsorship from senior management, the change agent will struggle at every single step. 

Greetings Raul,

I'd go so far as to say they won't just struggle, they will fail without that sponsorship. Some changes, usually minor ones, are within a single manager's control. In Maintenance you might control some training budget, and how your own crews interact. For instance, you can get problems identified using Condition Monitoring to be dealt with in a timely manner by planners and field supervisors so the benefits of Condition Monitoring are realized. That's something I've noticed does not always happen, and it is within your control. But something that will cross departmental boundaries, like getting full benefits of planning and scheduling, won't happen without cooperation from production / operations and supply chain (stores). You'll need that top sponsorship for that one.

Cheers, Jim

• Like 1
  • Community Leader

Hi @UptimeJim,

I meant they would struggle considering small changes, such as changing a lubricant of a single piece of equipment. For this situation, you might have some success even without a senior sponsorship, although it might not be easy to convince the fitters and maintenance technicians.

However, when it comes to bigger changes, especially cross departamental and process-related (how people do their jobs), I totally agree. Without that top sponsorship, there is no chance of success.

Regards,

Raul Martins

7 minutes ago, UptimeJim said:

I'd go so far as to say they won't just struggle, they will fail without that sponsorship.

Hi UptimeJIm and all;

could not agree more with your statement. Have seen quite a few cases like that - and the worst of it all was that the top management was not even aware of the need for sponsorship.

And let me cite just two important conclusions from Prosci's studies over the last 20 years worldwide having involved more than 3400 participants:

• Projects with excellent CM are 6x more likely to meet or exceed their objectives.
  • The executive sponsor has the highest single impact on project success.

Best regards,

Andrej

• Like 1
  • 2 weeks later...

Gentlemen,

I believe that change management has more elements to it than just obtaining sponsorship from the executive level.

Remember that we are dealing with human beings!

How we think, how we form beliefs, how we confirm those beliefs, the syntax or strategies formed to be in alignment with these beliefs, whether these beliefs are limiting or empowering. our value systems and alignment with our beliefs and strategies,  how we chose to use Fear and Pleasure to guide us.

Uptime Jim,

You and I had a conversation on this topic in brief and we both concluded that a lot of our efforts are not found in books based on RCM, CBM, RCA, FEMAs etc. We need to think outside of the box. All of us, need to have as many or more information in our libraries on the human side of this topic.

I can guarantee all of us that we know far less about our own thinking patterns, subconsciously stored beliefs and associated attributes that wake us up every morning and push us through our work day and personal lives. This is a great topic and I believe we have not taken the road less travelled to obtain new perspecitives

We cannot be masters until we learn how to be servants!

Sincerely,

Jim

• Like 1

Hi @Jim Vantyghem,

I absolutely agree with your thoughts and that's why I mentioned the PCT in my response on May 12.

The Prosci's Project Change Triangle (PCT) is about the three necessary constituents of any change project - Sponsorship/Leadership, Project Management and Change Management. While PM is mostly about technical aspect of the project, CM is all about people as human beings and their needs which have to be met should we want the change to succeed. And the reason Prosci has introduced so called ADKAR (Awareness, Desire, Knowledge, Ability, Reinforcement) elements, is exactly related with teh need for change at individual level, when an organizational change is to be achieved.

In my understanding, the sponsorship has been more exposed in the latest few messages just because we wanted to point out that is but a must, yet often missed. As mentioned, it is one of the three PCT elements and if any of them is missing, the chances for the change to be successful are very slim.

I am not trying to advocate Prosci's methodology as the only viable one - there are several others out there (John Kotter's is also very well known and widely used). I like ti as it is very well structured, based on 20 year+ research worldwide and I have personally positive experience with in practice.

You may want to visit https://www.prosci.com/, where wealth of useful information, articles, webinars and even on-line trainings can be found.

Best regards,

Andrej

• Like 1