Test ×
Raul Martins

3 Prioritisation Tools For You To Improve Your Productivity

Task prioritization is at the basis of productivity.

Think about it: you can be agile, smart and really knowledgeable. However, if you don’t  manage your tasks properly by priority, you will run the risk of delivering poor results.

That is the main goal of prioritisation tools: tackle time availability issues by focussing on what is more important.

See below 3 prioritisation tools that can definitely help you to improve your productivity on your daily routine:

1. GUT Matrix

The G.U.T. Matrix is a tool that helps to understand what are the business priorities. Its done through the identification of the nature of the productivity problems, according to the three factors:

G – Gravity - What are the impacts that this problem has on the business? Think about the use of financial resources, the waste of production, etc. Give a grade from 1 to 5:

1. Nothing severe;

2. Little serious;

3. Serious;

4. Very serious;

5. Extremely serious.

U - Urgency - How soon does this problem need to be solved? The score is:

1. It can wait;

2. Not very urgent;

3. Urgent;

4. Very urgent;

5. It needs immediate attention.

T - Trend - How will this problem evolve over time? That is, what is your development pattern? Analyze the scale and score:

1. It will not get worse;

2. It can get worse in the long run;

3. It can get worse in the medium term;

4. It can get worse in the short term;

5. It can get worse immediately.

According to the sum of the notes, you will be able to prioritize tasks to solve the most relevant problems.

2. Eisenhower Matrix

The Eisenhower Matrix is one of the most well-known and applied task prioritization techniques. The name of the tool is a tribute to the American general Dwight Eisenhower, recognized as a great military strategist, as well as an influential politician and diplomat.

According to him, there are basically two types of tasks - urgent tasks, which have a tight deadline and cannot be postponed; and the important ones, which, even if they do not need immediate resolution, deserve attention because they are the ones that bring the most results.

Therefore, we separated the tasks into four quadrants of a double nature, setting up a strategic plan for the execution of each category:

Urgent and important: top priority, should be done as soon as possible;

Important, but not urgent: they must not be postponed, but they can be done after urgent ones;

Neither important nor urgent: they can be neglected or made in loopholes of routine;

Urgent, but not important: they must be delegated or automated.

3. Pareto Principle

The Pareto Principle helps to prioritize tasks because it allows to identify the most productive efforts. Known as the 80/20 rule, the maxim of this concept is that 20% of the effort is responsible for 80% of the results.

For example, from 6 hours of work a day, you have a performance that delivers 80% of your accomplishments in the most productive 72 minutes of the morning. Or, still, that 80% of its revenue is guaranteed by 20% of the business processes.

The remaining 80% should not be overlooked, as they also contribute a fraction of the performance.

However, by identifying which are 20% more efficient, the company is able to direct its strategies and investments in process management, further optimizing these key points.

Looks good thanks for sharing Raul. 

So in my workplace it can be very reactive,

there are many tasks and it seems never eneough time to complete them over the course of the day. 

This kind of priority matrix will be golden. Taking that step back and employing one of these tools will increase productivity. 

I am personally a big fan of using such tools on my daily routine.

Usually, I use the Eisenhower Matrix for the tasks that I need to perform when planning my rosters. While Pareto on a more macro level, such as which projects will be prioritized.