Test ×

Should maintenance report to operations

Eric Keetman

Question

Hi all, I would like to know your opinion on whether or not maintenance should be reporting to operations. I am asking because I have worked in a maintenance line organisation (in the Army) where maintenance was accountable for maintaining equipment readiness. Here in Australia (mining and resources) I have seen organisations where the maintenance supervisor reports to production. Doesn't this compromise equipment readiness as necessary maintenance tasks will get delayed to "catch up" on deferred production?

• Like 1

3 answers to this question

Eric,

I would agree with you regarding compromised equipment and processes. In all the facilities I have worked, maintenance has either reported to an Engineering director and/or a plant manager. With this said, even this infrastructure of tiered management seems to get caught up in some type of maintenance repair or PM inspection scarfice for the need to push product out the door.

In my opinion, I do feel that production is a customer of the services of the maintenance department but I do not believe that a maintenance department should be solely controlled by production management.

jim

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

Customer - Service provider model vs Direct Reporting approaches are both used in O&G industry. Current trend that we can see these days is a central Maintenance Support Organization leading and managing core areas such as; CMMS, Planning & Scheduling, Spare Parts, Analytics/KPI report out, Strategy/Tactics, Continuous Improvement and supporting the front line Maintenance Teams (Superintendent/Supervisor level) who directly report to the Production Unit Leader and execute daily maintenance. In this matrix model, the central organization 's involvement to day to day is limited, and they focus on the house keeping and improvement aspects. Obviously this model is more relevant for mid to large size organizations where matrix organization model offers value . For smaller teams, I favor customer-service provider model, otherwise under pure Operational Leadership Maintenance tends to get reactive!