Test ×
Sign in to follow this  
Bijoy Xavier

Doubt related my current work

Question

I'm currently working as a maintenence engineer in a multi national company, which is now the largest spice exporter in India. 

Even though the working atmosphere is quite good, the maintenance workers comes under me are not much dedicated. only a few are passionate on this work. Rest of them are only works for money. In actual I'm really suffered to give the proper output. Many breakdowns were occur inside the plant in last month. What should I change in order to get a satisfactory output?

7 answers to this question

@Bijoy Xavier I would simply ask them

Most people come to work to earn a living and provide for their families. And that's perfectly fine in my mind. I also believe that most people come to work wanting to do a good job, but very often organisations can make it hard for people to do the right thing. Often organisations hire people for a job but don't really coach or train them. Many people don't see how they fit in / contribute to the big picture. Many people don't feel valued at work. There can be many issues.

As a line manager you can make a difference (even if your company policies don't give you much room): talk to your team, ask them questions, spend time with them to coach them, help them and help remove blockers that stop your team from doing a good job.  

• Like 1

2 hours ago, Erik Hupje said:

@Bijoy Xavier I would simply ask them

Most people come to work to earn a living and provide for their families. And that's perfectly fine in my mind. I also believe that most people come to work wanting to do a good job, but very often organisations can make it hard for people to do the right thing. Often organisations hire people for a job but don't really coach or train them. Many people don't see how they fit in / contribute to the big picture. Many people don't feel valued at work. There can be many issues.

As a line manager you can make a difference (even if your company policies don't give you much room): talk to your team, ask them questions, spend time with them to coach them, help them and help remove blockers that stop your team from doing a good job.  

Okay accepted, let me try on that way mr.erik

• Like 1

@Bijoy Xavierlet us know how it goes and please feel free to drop me an email with any questions if you feel you need more help or support. My email is erik@r2reliability.com

Bijoy,

Good evening! Erik's response provides very good points. To add to this, here are a few experience I would to add.

1. Building Rapport:  People naturally respond positively with others who are share the same feelings, ideas, experiences etc. Do you have experiences, concerns, goals etc that you and the people that work for you have in common. 

Examples: Here are some things maintenance people do not like. Can you identify with any of these points below? As I am sure you will, you just may have some common things to share with your people. Again, if you have rapport with your people by identifying common issues and/or needs you will start to create a bond with them.

1. Repairing the same problem over and over again: Especially if they are not given the time nor money to fix the problem correctly and/or ability to improve the equipment/processes.

2. Not being appreciated for a job well done! All people need to know, at sometime, that they are doing a good job. This helps build self confidence and respect for the person providing the praise. This does not mean that a leader must not provide criticism but it should be balanced out. People cannot grow emotionally if they are not shown what is considered a job well done verses a task done badly.

3. Not being heard or taken seriously: Your technicians are some of your best resources of technical information. These people can tell you the following

A. What common issues occur with various pieces of equipment and/or process lines.

B. Production operator errors and in turn the need for production operators to obtain additional training and/or support.

C. Improving equipment design, trouble shooting techniques and/or improved or more efficient ways of repairing equipment etc.

D. Not having the right tools or all the tools needed to do their jobs correctly, efficiently and/or in a timely fashion.

2. Providing Direction: As Erik had said, people usually come to work to do a good job and also would really like structure and direction.

Most people do not know what they want but, in most cases, are willing to follow a plan/vision. I would highly recommend that you read all of Erik's "Road to Reliability" material. If you gain rapport with your workers and than provide them a great plan to improve with positive coaching and support you will most likely see positive results.

Of course, there is more information available on the website by people with more experience than I but I would say that the information above may help you out.

Have a great day!

Jim

• Like 2

Hi Mr.Jim, I just started reading his materials. I hope it will influenece my nature of work.

all the positive outcomes will be post here on our community.

• Like 1

Hi Bijoy, in my experience employees need to feel connected and involved in what they are being asked to do.

You could try using visualisation boards to show your teams where they are doing well, and the areas that need improving. Another useful tool is to use performance targets between the teams, e.g. publish that team 1 achieved 95% of their maintenance targets, obviously you want 100% but small steps, team 2 89%, so on, and think of a little reward that you could give to team 1, does not have to be monetary, challenge the other teams to rise to meet the targets .

Have team meetings, ask how would they improve things, can some different tools make things easier, get their ideas and show you are listening by choosing the best one and implement it.

Being a people manager is not easy.

Hope some of this helps and gives you ideas to improve. Good luck

• Like 1