Bijoy Xavier

How to detect bearing failure in advance

Question

I've started preparing some records for finding out the life cycle of a bearing. In actual currently I'm detecting the failure by noise and vibration. Can you please explain, some alternate way to identify it more precisely?

• Like 1

6 answers to this question

With Reliability monitoring, We can check for Axial float of Pump,compressor etc.

If it shows variation along with condition monitoring spectrum, Then bearing is in bad health

• Like 1

Hi @Bijoy Xavier I'm by no means an expert in condition monitoring, but I wonder, why are you focussing on bearing life? Is this a major issue in your plant?

Of course Mr. Eric. I learned from my experience that a ball roller bearing will last for at least 1year if it is run in precised alignment without the presence of moisture and heat. But the actual problem is that I didn't get the output even if it is in mentioned good condition.

On 8/7/2018 at 2:28 PM, Sachin Sugandhi said:

With Reliability monitoring, We can check for Axial float of Pump,compressor etc.

If it shows variation along with condition monitoring spectrum, Then bearing is in bad health

Hi sachin, can you please elaborate the technique?

My suggestion would be to use a good condition monitoring system. Attaching appropriate sensors to the bearings and casing will give you temperature and vibration data, some sophisticated systems would also give you any axial movement, but these would be expensive, and you, your company, would need to put a value on the criticallity of the bearings.

There is always the old RCM method, put a new bearing in, no lubricant, run it to destruction, record the time period. Using the OEM's data, and the data recorded, work out an optimal period to run the bearing, say 6 months short of OEM's reccomended time, take the bearing and analyse for life remaining. You will then get an understanding of an expected life in the conditions you are using it in.

On 8/4/2018 at 1:20 PM, Bijoy Xavier said:

I've started preparing some records for finding out the life cycle of a bearing. In actual currently I'm detecting the failure by noise and vibration. Can you please explain, some alternate way to identify it more precisely?

Infrared scans/photos are VERY good at detecting imminent bearing failure IF you can see them. LOTS of info online.  Google Infrared Thermography or scans