Erik Hupje

The Ultimate Online Maintenance Planning & Scheduling Course

On 1/27/2019 at 7:36 PM, Syed Ibad Arif said:

When will you start this course?

Hi @Syed Ibad Arif I expect to have a beta launch to about 10-15 students in March to do a final test of the learning management system and iron out any last issues or inconsistencies (beta students will get a discount in return and lifetime access to the course including all future updates). The course will then go public probably late April. 

Hi @Steve Marshall yes, I do plan to launch the course online. Unfortunately, I have fallen behind schedule as my focus has been on quality but I still aim to get the course launched online in the next couple of months.

I thought I would just share a bit of an update on the online Maintenance Planning & Scheduling course:

I have finished all the course content and am at the moment scripting the course modules so that I can start recording by the end of April with a launch late May. 

I have uploaded a set of sample slides into a gallery in case you're interested to see what the material looks like. This is just a random set of slides from a few of the modules.

Link to Slide Gallery: https://community.roadtoreliability.com/gallery/category/6-maintenance-planning-scheduling-course/

The launch in May will most likely be a pilot program for 20-30 students to iron out any bugs in the learning management system etc. These students will get a significant discount on the course (40%) in return for providing feedback and a course testimonial. Despite the big discount these students will get lifetime access to the course. If you're interested in the pilot program please express your interest in the course, if you have not done so already. To do so, simply go to this page and register: https://www.roadtoreliability.com/planning-scheduling-online-training/

My apologies for not reading the complete thread! I see that you are still working on the process. Our company's focus has shifted to a high focus on quality and continues improvement. I have been working with quite a few of the maintenance managers and have applied your approach of Defect Elimination, PM Optimization along with working on Planning & Scheduling. Of course, this is a massive undertaking but a worth the effort. In short, very interested in taking the P&S course.

Thank you,

Jim

Not a problem @Jim Vantyghem it has taken me longer than I expected to prepare all the course content, but my focus has been quality rather than schedule. 

On 8/27/2018 at 6:55 PM, Erik Hupje said:

As you may know, I am working on an online course in the area of Maintenance Planning & Scheduling.

This will be a high quality, in depth course delivered 100% through an online learning management system. That means you can do the course anytime you want, from anywhere in the world. All you need is a reasonably reliable internet connection.

The lessons will be course videos in which I will present and explain the topics. Each lesson will be supported by workbooks, tools, quizzes and assignments for you to complete in your workplace.

The online learning management system is truly a state-of-the-art solution that has been adopted by industry giants like The New York Times or the University of Pennsylvania. The system is intuitive, easy to navigate and integrated with a student-only forum where you can ask as many questions as you want. You can directly interact not only with myself as your course instructor, but also with fellow students. Through the forum you can share experience and ask how others tackle specific course-related issues in their organisations. The forum will be professionally moderated and a safe and welcoming environment.

And to give even more support, I am also considering adding 'office hours' where you can ask questions live online.

I have spent a large amount of time developing the course already, as outlined below:

Module 0: Welcome 
A short module simply to get you get you setup for success. We'll cover course objectives, how we will work together and give an introduction to the online learning management system. 

Module 1: Introduction to Planning & Scheduling 
In this module we start the real work. After a brief exploration of the role of maintenance in asset intensive industries we'll explore why we need planning & scheduling. We'll cover the increase in productivity and what that means for the bottom line of the business you work for. But we'll also explore other key benefits of planning & scheduling that are maybe less tangible like workforce motivation and safety. In the final lesson we touch on some critical characteristics of maintenance work that influence how we setup a successful maintenance planning & scheduling process. 

Module 2: Identify & Prioritise Work 
Module 2 is all about work is initiated and prioritised. Fail to get this right and you'll continue to chase your tail and will not get out of the reactive maintenance model. Most organisations don't realise how critical this step is. Most managers and supervisors don't want to spend the time on getting this right. In this module I will explain why you don't want to be making that mistake and why putting a lot of effort in creating quality work requests and prioritising them properly is so critical to your success. And in the last lesson we'll touch on some KPIs that you can use to measure your success. 

Module 3: Plan Work 
Module 3 is all about maintenance planning, why it is important and the 6 principles that underpin a sound maintenance planning process. We'll talk quite a lot about roles & responsibilities because this is where many organisations go wrong. They burden their maintenance planners with work that should be done by others and in doing so they never reach the productivity improvement they were aiming for. We'll also discuss the level of detail that is required in a maintenance work order, what makes up a good 'work pack' and we'll touch on common mistakes and some useful KPIs. 

Module 4: Schedule Work 
Module 4 is all about scheduling. We'll talk about how scheduling is different from planning and why you need both. We'll discuss 5 basic scheduling principles including why you need to schedule for a Frozen week. And we'll delve in to capacity planning. As usual our last lesson in this module will cover KPIs in this case those KPIS that you can use to drive your scheduling process for example Weekly Schedule Compliance.  

Module 5:  Monitor Work 
This is a step in the planning & scheduling process that is not often talked about, but it's key to your success. Once the work is planned, all materials are ordered, and purchase orders have gone out for external services you need to keep an eye out on when vendors are available, when materials will arrive at site etc. And when that’s all in place, you need to flag the planned work in your CMMS as 'Ready for Execution' as a handover point to the Scheduler. 

Module 6: Execute Work 
Module 6 will be relatively short as this all about executing the maintenance work that has been planned and scheduled. We'll only touch on those aspects of executing work that directly impact our planning & scheduling. 

Module 7: Close Out Work 
Module 7 covers the close out of work. This is where we capture everything that went well and the things that didn't go too well. We provide feedback to the planner in terms of planning quality, materials etc. and we capture technical history in the CMMS so the reliability engineers can use that information in their continuous improvement programs. 

Module 8: Review & Improve 
Module 8 is all about making things better and better or in other words: Continuous improvement and how to build that into your business and your work processes. We'll delve in to using KPIs to drive performance and the limits to what KPIs can do for you. We'll talk about the need to have a 'process owner' who conducts annual process 'audits' and the value of GEMBA walks. Lesson 4 will touch on a contentious subject - measuring wrench time. How to do it, when to do it and when not. 

Module 9: Implementing Planning & Scheduling 
Module 9 is where this course is really completely different than all the other planning & scheduling courses out there. In this module we will give you a tried and tested process to implement planning & scheduling in your organisation. We'll cover the business case, change management basics, setting up your project team for success, the need for coaching and each lesson comes complete with practical tools and techniques that are proven to work when it comes to implementing planning & scheduling in a real business environment. 

Bonus Module 
The Bonus Module is just that - a number of bonus lessons that cover topics that are closely related to maintenance planning & scheduling including Shutdown Planning. 

But before I go any further and really lock down the content, I would love to get your thoughts. Your opinions.

What would you like to see in a course on Planning & Scheduling?  

What do you think are essential parts of an online course?

What would stop you from signing up?

What would definitely make you join an online course like this?

how to join the course?