Erik Hupje

What is the best CMMS?

In the course of running the Road to Reliability site, I get a lot of emails and LinkedIn messages with questions. One of the most frequently asked questions is the following:

"What is the best CMMS?"

I'm not sure that there is such a thing anyway as it depends on so many factors and what is important to your organisation. But given that my own experience is all SAP-based, I can't really answer that question well.

Of course, I'm aware of the range of CMMS solutions from big players like SAP or Maximo to smaller players like MEX, Maintenance Connection and many, many more. I just don't have any experience with them.

So my question to you is quite simple:

What CMMS do you use? Do you love it or hate it? Would you recommend it to others? If so why? And if not, why not?

• Like 1

Hello All,

As per personal experience, i would recommend SAP as best CMMS for plant maintenance  and asset management tool.

It has many user friendly screens with many options for customization as well as various report generation.Fast and easy navigation for quick status check.Universal system so you need not to learn when you change company.

But biggest problem is due to central server based system speed is very slow which gives frustration to user.

There should be de centralize approach for individual plants which may increase speed as data base for individual plant comparatively very small.

• Like 1

Hello everyone,

Well I have worked with a few CMMS, not SAP though, although the companies I were still worked with SAP on different modules, they decided to have the maintenance on another platform, still connected though.

Nextbitt and Infraspeak are really small players, these are more directed to facilities/asset management, and were the best ones I had the chance to work with, both are very recent and easy to use, very intuitive and fast, I specially like that the equipments are RFID tagged and/or QR code and the technicians use the phones to record the work and occurrences directly in the system. The reports are also easy to get with a few clicks as long as you either get the company to do a few models with the data you need or prepare it with BI or SQL reporting.

Infraspeak works also like a google store that you can buy/remove the modules you want which is nice, and gets exactly what you need and gets the system running light.

Nextbitt is the one I work with at the moment, and our company is collaborating with them to do a custom system that solves our issues and helps us manage the maintenance, so far it's been a really good experience, and I'm learning a lot.

These of course have many flaws, and can't be used in every company or situation, but the support is top notch and the software keeps evolving, maybe some day they'll grow to be recognized internationally.

• Like 1

Dear All

I have used few CMMS tools. In the end, my feelings are that like any other tool, best CMMS depends on user.

I have following reasons to justify my answer:

• I have seen very good report through Macro based Excel files & very bad reports through MAXIMO or EMS
  • I have seen most of the tools fields empty for many reasons which basically doesn't give you information
  • I have seen wrong entries giving you wrong information.
  • They are made so heavy that people are not able to enter everything.

Generally CMMS is chosen based on many reasons sometimes out of even Maint Mgr scope like client want you to have particular system etc.  There are following factors which makes any CMMS good or bad:

• How you have implemented it. I would say a person who has a knowledge of hands on should be in the implementation team. A lot of exercise is required on reporting & expectation from CMMS so that implementing team can be able to incorporate them.
  • How users are trained: Most of CMMS fail because of this part. Either people are not trained, they are unwilling or don't like to enter everything. It shall be ensured that every level the fields are entered, counterchecked & saved. Responsibilities shall be very much given & followed.
  • How many reports are generated: Once you have the data, how you are using them, Is the data giving you expected results, if not, make changes that are required.
  • How it is AUDITED - In the end, even CMMS shall be audited. Generally I have seen people saying, " we are following all data & maintenance through XXXX & we don't need to audit. On the contrary, we must audit the reports & data otherwise the reports will be corrupt & will be useless.

In the last, I would say an old saying I read somewhere " In the hands of an expert, a stick is powerful than sword & in the hands of an novice, a sword is weaker than a stick"

Regards

• Like 3

Nice topic to be discussed.

As a company and company that need efficient and effective maintenance process or way its mandatory to have some kind of CMMS. Actually i heard this CMMS  for the first time even if i worked on SAP for almost a year.

Since i only have experience on SAP its will not be fair if i compare some of CMMS with SAP all i know is SAP give me relief on my maintenance  scheduling and planning process. It has real time base function. Am not comparing it but i can suggest it for some one who went CMMS.

Edited by Samuel mulatu
Word correction
  • Like 1

I've been an SAP user now for 23 years and the company I work for was one of the first to deploy SAP R3 in Australia (two companies in Australia deployed it in the same week). I can't compare it with other systems except those of the early 90's and SAP's full integration with other modules was far superior to any of these.

For the skilled user it is an extremely powerful tool but many don't fully understand what the program can do. Ten years ago I presented to SAP Asia Pacific representatives in a webinar on using SAP for planning and scheduling as SAP felt that their own people also didn't appreciate the capabilities of their product.

Until this year we haven't used any of the add-ons available to simplify use of the PM module but this year we raised the bar on maintenance scheduling and have implemented Viziya Workalign Scheduler to assist in meeting these goals.

• Like 2

Hi Erick Good topic,

we still progress deal by vendor to install cmms,its good tool for maintenance,by cmms we can to maintain inventory spare part balance,work order and maintenance performance index,and asset.

many thanks,

• Like 1

Hello All,

We use infor EAM as our CMMS since the startup of our company in 2010.A lot of expat was worked on it but unfortunately, it very complex CMMS.

Actually, the management decide to switch to other CMMS. am not saying that EAM is bad, but I did not recommend it for someone.

• Like 1

Hi.. Erick, nice topic...

a little comments, What's the best CMMS..? according to me, the best CMMS can provides us as follow;  Plan & Scheduling of Our machines,maintenance & Repair cost of every single machines in the company, Asset management,  Hystorical datas of each machines, man hours, It can integrated with the others computerized management likes finance, accounting, warehouse, suppliers etc. KPI's of each machines likes MTTR, MTBF, PA,MA, etc, as one of the tools for proactive maintenance.

• Like 2

Its been long when I have started my journey with the CMMS system 25 years back. The 1st system I started to work with Ramco Marshall with their methodology and the technical terms. Then we have adopted SAP R3 and eventually SAP ECC. Now is a cloud base SAP Hana. SAP is an excellent tool for the Reliability journey. SAP store the huge database and integrated with other systems. SAP is not a Reliability. A journey of Asset Mangement starts with reliability. often in the industry, we called operate for reliability. SAP data will be very much used for RCA and RCM studies. Automated SAP is advancing the process of Reliability. Reliability starts with devices, Roles and responsibilities, Work management and Mangement responsibilities.

• Like 1

I use Sage Accpac for generating work orders, work planning and scheduling and also for procument and posting of parts used during the work. It is really limited in what it can do and also has a lot of server issues. But it's better than nothing. 

• Like 1

My experience was only with a customized solution from T-Systems (Sisman) back on 90's. After 2008 we migrated to SAP ECC6 (PM) and now we are going web/cloud with SAP S4/Hana.

I love to hate SAP...  it has a great potential for any register or report you can imagine to your assets and planning & scheduling have also many options to adapt to your routine.

... but is way too complex if you don't have a good support team for implementation and training. You might end with a customized solution with lots of unused or confusing fields which sometimes tend the operator to input wrong information or none at all, impacting on the reliability of the asset's data.

• Like 1

Hi @Carlos R C Souza I can relate to your observations about SAP - pretty much all my maintenance career I've worked with SAP and it is a bit of non-intuitive beast that can be hard to tame... yet so powerful with so much potential!

• Thanks 1

What a question... over my time in P&S Systems, I've had very brief experience with Pulse and JDE, and a lot of experience with SAP, and I am now with a business that is using Ellipse.

I'm unable to comment on Pulse, JDE or others, like Maximo etc, as my exposure to them isn't enough to give them fair judgement. As a SAP P&S Trainer, I love SAP. Like most others, you need to be using it to learn and retain your skills. There is a lot it can do, and can be a lot friendlier to the end user than others I've seen.

Now I've been using Ellipse for a touch over 2 years, and what can I say... damn I miss SAP. What I could do in a normal day with SAP, now takes, I would say, up to 30% longer to do, and it isn't what I would call user friendly.

In saying that, the most critical thing to get right is your Master Data, if your foundations aren't there, you don't have anything stable to build on. Depending on the business, and what you are wanting to get out of your CMMS, nearly any of them would suffice, but from what I've seen, for online support, third party software compatibility and end user experience, I don't think you can go past SAP.

Cheers, Corry

• Like 1